Saturday, July 18, 2009

Weekend in.... rare occasion.. and Yoga..

I travel out a lot, and I have fun out alot.. but now, time for a change, time for a relaxing post...

YOGA...to be more precise, Bikram YOGA.. and I love it so far..

It all started with a trip to the Vivo True Fitness Gym where I wanted to sign up for a gym membership. Went in look see look see and was directed to the manager Siva who then suggested that I try Hot Yoga, or Bikram Yoga at Pacific Plaza. Hmm... have always wanted to take up yoga as part of my supplementary training to triathlons, especially since it had some good reviews on rehab and muscular power training, so hey, might as well just give it a go. Now.. Siva suggested Bikram Yoga, not the other forms of Yoga as he said that I would like the challenging part of it - after all.. it's not Hot unless it's done in a 42 degCelsius room with a humidity of 40-50%.. just thinking of that scares me enough.. so never one to step down from any challenges.... I agreed :).. and my first class - Thursday...

Arrived there 30mins before class and was eager to start. Met Sue who helped me about the classes they had in Pacific Plaza. Eager to start, clad only in Bra top and running shorts as I have been warned of how hot it can get, I grabbed my bottle of water and a towel in my hands and
went into the studio, and boy, was it HOT HOT HOT and HUMID HUMID HUMID.. its so hot and humid that I had difficulty breathing in the first few minutes. phew... after regulating my heart beat (which went up too).. i took a deep breath and settled myself down somewhere in the middle.

Bikram yoga only practices 26 poses which are repeated twice in each class. Sounds easy, huh?.. but NOPE.. it is all hard work. Each pose works almost every muscle, every joint in the body. It focuses on concentration, mental commitment and balance to keep the pose intact. With it comes muscular endurance and power as well as flexibility that helps to maintain the pose. For me, even after the first pose... I was ouch ouch ouch already...

The instructor only verbalises the instructions, and visual clues comes from everyone else. No fret though, if u can't get it right, he/she will come by to help you.. (I got a few personal tips along the way). Water can only be drank after 2 sets of each pose is done... but the instructor suggest not to drink too much, cos you'd still need an empty stomach to continue.

Well, after 26 poses and 1 and a half hour later, I came out... sweaty... hot... tired...dead-ish.. but after the shower.. I was rejuvenated. Woke up the next day with no sores, jsut stronger and have a will to continue on. In short.. I LOVE it. Bikram yoga to me is great.. I love the strength it gave me even after one class and am eager to go back.... hehe. .signed up for a year... and went for my second class this morning... and again was tortured :) hehe

Well, that's my review of Bikram Yoga.. and how I became a convert. To all those out there.. got try if you dare... it's not as easy as it looks

Trudge on...



No comments: