Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The people I'll remember forever...

I've met a lot of people in my life and my line of work, but there are some that are forever etched in my mind. So this post is dedicated to them, the people I met for only a short while, but changed my perspective in life.. and probably made it a bit fuller as well....

1. The guy I met while I was in the Blood Bank who gave me hope that patients do remember me :). He came to donate blood, but surprised me when he asked... "aren't u the doc who delivered my son?" ... I didn't do that many deliveries, but I was quite surprised he remembered the nameless HO who assisted in the delivery even after a year after the delivery. Thank you :)

2. The old man who made me realise that no matter what or who I am, I can only do so much. He came in for joint pains, but was later diagnosed with end stage cancer. He led a healthy life until then, but there was nothing I can do... except just being there for him. Being strong is not easy to do, but sometimes, it is the only thing you can do.

3. The lady at A&E who held my hand while the doctor did a painful emergency procedure on her. I was an eager medical student there who wanted to grab a look and participate in it. But when I looked into her eyes.. she needed someone to hold her, not just look. So I stood there and held her hands tight.. Learning sth not only comes in books and classes and it's not only for knowledge enrichment, but also in life experiences with others, and sometimes its the others that teaches you more.

4. The 84 year old lady, who taught me to slow down in my life, but never stop looking sexy and adventuring around the world... walking her to the library was all my pleasure, as she turned out to be one of the most chatty person ever.

5. The lady with cancer, but still wanted to hold off therapy until after giving birth. No other love can stare death in the eyes except that of the love of a parent to his/her child.

6. The small kid with an incurable disease, but never stopped smiling. Bravery comes in all sorts of packages.. and it comes in making other ppl at ease even in difficult situations.

:)

Trudge on....

No comments: